imagine yourself without one."
- Oscar Wilde
Not Bad Being a Massage Therapist!
Massage Therapy is tough, and yes it is true that it is not for everyone, but there are however some considerable perks that others may have failed to see. Here are the Top 5 reasons why I cannot see myself doing anything else (aside from Nursing of course which I love just as much).
1. Guaranteed exercise everyday! Imagine providing 1-hour massages 4-6 times a day. You will literally burn calories, you will break sweat! Provided you are using proper body mechanics, not only are you strengthening your upper body, you are working out your whole body (each and every muscles that stabilizes your posture when you push and pull). I think that it is one of the best way to lose weight and keep them off!
2. The compensation, not bad at all! The range will vary, but massage therapy is about a job that rewards you based on how much you put into it! How long and how smart you work and how well you take care of your body all play a role in how well you are compensated. And the benefits are not to be sneezed at either! We may not make as much as doctors, but we can definitely rival that of a nurse or physical therapists!
3. The hours are awesome. If you have a typical office job, you will be subject to a routine every single day on a fixed 8-hour shift. And chances are, you will be sitting all day or you are tied to your PC or smart phone! If you have your own private practice, not only can you choose your own hours, you have the privilege of screening who you have business with! In other words, the choice will always be yours on how hard and how long you work, and with whom! Even in the now-popular wellness clinic, they give you the option to choose your hours!
4. The Joy of making people feel better. Massage have its roots in nursing and actually co-evolved with nursing (details here). What better way to help people than to provide them with one of their most primal need (touch) and to alleviate them from the burdens brought about by modern living (stress). So long as the intentions are sincere and the goals clear, massage actually helps people in many ways where the conventional medicine have failed or the very least have been a well proven Alternative or Complement to the existing treatment!
5. The acceptance have gotten considerably better over the last 20 years. Although some people still think that massage is only about relaxation and luxury for those who can afford it, nowadays the general public are more educated about the real benefits of therapeutic massage, thanks partly to the ever growing massage franchises that made massage affordable to every individuals from all walks of life AND the modern medical researches that brought about evidenced-based proof of its benefits! Today Registered Massage Therapy by Professional Licensed individuals is a part of the ever-changing field of healthcare!
- Leo Feraer-Oporto